If you are thinking of renovating your home or your office to include some paintings and art objects, this short guide in three steps will make the task easier.
Step One: Find your style
Decorating your home should be a reflection of a unique personality and style, yours, or in the case of your office, it can become a symbol that conveys the philosophy and atmosphere of your company. Art is a very effective way to achieve these two goals, since a painting can define the atmosphere of any room in a very expressive way. In addition, art influences your mood and gives the place a focal point that draws the eye of those who stay in the room. A boring wall can change completely only by hanging a painting on it.
How much of your decorating budget should you invest in art? We normally would recommend between 25 and 30% of your total budget, because a few well-chosen pieces can transform your home with surprisingly little work.
If in your case you have a tight budget, this need not be an obstacle, if you take a look at our online art gallery you’ll find oil paintings and other works of art at very affordable prices.
Step two: choose your oil paintings wisely
There are some tricks you can use to create the decoration of your dreams you want with art:
1. To make a room appear wider visually choose a painting that reflects a distant horizon, such as a landscape or a beach; this way you will be able to “look beyond” the wall in front of you.
2. If your house has high ceilings and you would like to create balance, hang a picture that has a horizontal forms, such as roof lines or tables.
3. On the contrary, if your ceilings are low, you can compensate this visual effect through pictures with strong vertical lines such as trees, flowers, buildings or portraits.
4. If your goal is to decorate a large wall, the best options are to use a large painting or several smaller ones forming a group.
5. If your room is very dark and you want to add some light, you should use paintings with light colors for contrast, but if instead, you have plenty of light, you can use pictures that give personality to the room and add a bit of drama with strong and dark colors .
Step Three: hang your paintings
Our most important tip to this respect is to hang the picture at eye level, which is usually at 160 or 165 centimeters above the ground, from the center of the artwork to the floor.
We must also consider some other elements regarding to the room and to where you are usually situated to observe the painting.
1. If you will be typically standing looking at the table ( in a hallway or entry), it is better to hang the artwork at a slightly higher height, especially if the ceiling is high.
2. If you’ll be sitting (in a living room or dining room), you should hang it a little lower.
3. If you want to hang the painting above a cabinet or a sofa, our best advice is to do so at around 15 or 30 centimeters above it.
4. For a stairwell, hang several pictures following a diagonal line; it creates a stylish and decorative effect.
5. If you hang a group of small to medium artworks on one wall or the best technique to do it well is to think of them as one big painting; also, you can design the distribution previously on a flat surface.
6. A final tip: if you feel unsure of where on the wall you should hang a picture, you can use painters tape to hold a paper template and do a test with it beforehand, rather than taking the risk of making holes in the wrong place.
Once you know all these rules, it comes all down to your personal creativity and preferences.
SOROLLA ART GALLERY- SPANISH ORIGINAL ART